1. The U.S. had 20x more serial killers than the next most country, England.
Okay, the U.S. is big, but can’t we all just get along? I really wanted to look at this as a percentage of the population, but since the data spans across multiple years, it makes it very difficult to calculate.
If you’re not spooked yet, keep reading.
2. 48% of serial killers kill for enjoyment…
This is sobering. When we watch movies, like American Psycho, we take solace in knowing the pleasure Patrick Bateman derives from killing is fiction, but is it? Half. Yes, Half of serial killers are killing for their own twisted pleasure.
3.…and most kill more than 5 times
This kind of makes sense – which is a statement I was hoping to avoid when writing this, but half kill for enjoyment and, well, they have to kill more than one to be a serial killer.
4. Serial killers are more likely to be financially motivated than kill out of anger
I guess that’s comforting.
5. Strangulation and guns are the two most prevalent methods of murder
I was bit surprised by this one, but I blame pop culture for the misconception. I always envisioned serial killers with chainsaws, machetes, or a cattle gun -> name that movie. (hint).
6. Very few serial killers use poison to kill their victims
Think twice if the soup makes you sick. Ask for a bagel.
7. California has had the most victims.
Big place. Take your chances.
8. However, the odds are against you in Alaska.
Ah, this makes so much sense. If you’re going to kill people why not move to the most remote of all remote places in the U.S. When you look at serial killer murders as a percentage of total population, Alaska, Louisiana, Washington, and Indiana are not the places to be. Ironically, I just watched a series on Netflix called Alaska, Ice Cold Killers. It wasn’t bad for Netflix streaming.
9. Hawaii, without question, is your best chance for staying alive
At this point, I’m sure you’re wondering how to avoid serial killers. With only 5 victims, Hawaii ranks second lowest in total victims and has the lowest victims as a percent of their total population.
View all charts and graphs in a slideshow